Wednesday 9 September 2009

Announcing TellyFeed - Beta Release

TellyFeed - Never miss another film when it's on TV!

What it’s all about?

TellyFeed was a little idea that came from a FaceBook app I built a couple of years ago to learn about the FaceBook api.

The idea came about as a way to find out when films were gonna be on tv (which is pretty much all I personally use it for) and it seems to do a relatively good job.

Basically, you enter a list of film or TV programme titles and TellyFeed can let you know if they’re gonna be on TV over the next 5 or so days. Fairly handy if you’ve got a fancy TV recording Freeview box and want to build up a little film collection.

Just hook up your RSS reader and you’ll never miss that film you’ve been meaning to watch.

So why did I build it?

I just finished reading Evans’ Domain Driven Design and decided that if I wanted it to sink in, I should probably try it all out.

I built the application basically as a controlled experiment... It’s a fairly simple application with a few business rules and concerns. I knew exactly what I wanted it to do, so I could sort of play the role of developer and domain expert.

I learnt a lot (Dependency Injection, the Repository Pattern, A fair bit more knowledge of the MVC framework, a good old bit about domain modelling, a bit about nHibernate, SubSonic SimpleRepository and quite probably a lot more.) which is good.

I'll be adding some blog posts over the coming weeks outlining some of the things I learned, and how I went about achieving some of the functionality on the site, so stay tuned!

Enjoy the site I hope you find it useful.

No comments: